Sunday, November 2, 2008

Trick or Treat

My loves all dressed for Halloween:
Almost all costume components were scrounged from around the house. The black furry fabric was a left over from years past and quickly sewed up into a tunic, ears, treat bag and tail for my Ava cat. To get the tail to curl and stand up I used an opened up coat hanger, but the thing still had a mind of its own.
Rowan's blue coat was pure serendipity as a trip to the Salvation Army yielded a size six girl's sailor coat. All I did was rip off (carefully!) a bunch of the white trim. His hat was once a floppy brown one of mine, but a bit of dye and a few stitches later it became a tri-cornered hat such as a Revolutionary War soldier might wear. My rendition is a little shabby, but those Minutemen were not known for their formal wear. As far as we're read, they were lucky to have shoes. Lilla's forest elf dress and cape ( I skipped the fairy part because I ran out of time for wings) was created out of my recycled woolens stash, bits from a velvet skirt, brown bias tape and a pair of old curtains my sister (remember these Kristina?) might recognize. Oh, and I was a mama on the prairie, but the only photo of me is a blurred bit of the bottom of my dress (an old Gunne sax dress I've had around for years).

Boo!

4 comments:

Laura said...

I am so impressed, Sa! All of those costumes are just so creative and crafty... very nice! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time... did you dress up too?

Carolyn said...

Would you believe that we had a forest elf (Avellana) and a cat girl (Merryn) too? Liadan was "Candy Girl."
Your pictures are joyous and lovely as usual. :)
-Carolyn

Leanne said...

I smiled all the way through your post Sabrina until I reached Ed...and I broke into a little giggle! Fantastic! Such great costumes....you did a wonderful (and beautifully thrifty) job....and your gorgeous (as usual) pictures truly captured what looks like an absolutely joyful evening.

Lynn said...

The costumes are stunning! The photos, too!!