Monday, November 16, 2009

Changes

I think I was kidding myself when I said we were "just a little overwhelmed" by our house projects. Actually, I'd say we're closer to a lot overwhelmed since every room will need to be addressed in some way sooner or later.  But I'm really trying to settle into the fact that it's not all going to be done tomorrow, next month or even next year. We will definitely be living amongst chaos for a time as we check off things bit by bit.

But while we were waiting for the closing we did go ahead and tackle a few of the projects we were anxious to finish before cold set in. A new little patio from large slate stones salvaged from around the house. Some of those stones were dangerously heavy. Yikes, I don't see us doing this again soon. (don't ask me why we felt inspired to finish just before winter...) Taking down- a bit regretfully- a beautiful old white pine that was right in the front of the house. The tree's shape and proximity to the house had us concerned. We feared one of those large forked branches would eventually smash down through the roof. After examining the tree once it was cut and seeing a fairly large section of rot, I felt at ease with our decision to take it down before a storm did. The next day a portable sawmill came and milled much of the wood into usable lengths. Now the wood is curing in the barn waiting for future projects.Replacing the fifty+ year old furnace with an efficient one and taking the winter off from wood heat has left us almost giddy. Warmth with the flip of a switch? What a novel and luxurious idea!

And leaves...well this is not a project we'll ever really complete...but this is the first year that we've really had to deal with the brunt of leaf collecting. Wow- there are a lot of leaves. And more to come each year.
And lastly here's a glamor shot of me utilizing our high tech leaf removal system. My dad once complained that I don't post any pictures of me on the blog...well this might explain it! This is probably the best of any recent photos I have of myself...oh well.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are our own worst critic sometimes, aren't we! Good work! Chele

Unknown said...

Wow great patio...it will be exciting knowing it is waiting for Spring tea in the garden after the snow and cold has gone! What a sweet home you have...so nice to see a full picture of it nestled so nicely amongst all those trees! Beautiful. And yes that is a rather large pine!!
Oh and I think you look fab Sabrina!! x

Leanne said...

Oops sorry that was me above!
Leanne

gardenmama said...

So lovely to see a photo of you Sabrina : ) I do not think I actually have a recent one of myself, always behind the camera I guess : ) It seems raking the leaves is an unending job these days! Many warm wishes xo

Anonymous said...

I think that you will get a lot of pleasure in getting your place ship-shape. To paraphrase someone- often the joy in traveling is the voyage and not being at the destination.
Good picture of you!
See you soon. Love, Dad

The Bowens said...

I love the patio! and, the glamour shot of you. You really should post more pics of yourself although, if you are like me you are always the one behind the camera.

Lynn said...

Oh, I enjoyed this so much! That little head peeking out of the leaf pile, the charming shot of you (you're always stunning, even when doing yard work!), the house update. And I'm so glad you discovered the rot factor so that you could feel better about the tree decision. Phew!

Anonymous said...

Lovin that patio! You guys did an amazing job...
Ok, supermodel-momma...you look incredible even when lugging a bag full of stankin leaves.

Ari

Elizabeth said...

My goodness, it does sound like you have a lot on your plate! Nice to see a photo of you on the blog for a change!

Ava Dodge said...

MOM finally I'm writing on my blog: lol4115.blogspot.com

RunninL8 said...

Hey there from Alaska! I am LOVING your blog! Beautiful photos and inspiration! Lovely patio!
I’ve been discovering a lot of new (to me) blogs and it’s been wonderful to find so many like minded people!
Feel free to drop by my blog as well. I’ve been enjoying posting more prolifically lately- Advent/holiday gift ideas, recipes, insights and tutorials. http://www.mountainpulse.blogspot.com/
Off I go to peruse more of your blog-Happy holidays!