Friday, January 30, 2009

Fun with color

We plucked out all the broken crayons bits out of the BIG crayon basket, methodically peeled off papers and got to work making a fresh batch of crayons. Not an original idea but something I'd never tried out before. I must say there was something very satisfying about cleaning out that basket. Some of those crayon bits have probably been kicking around since Ava's early artistic meanderings (I think those old ones were especially tedious to peel- stuck on as they were). All we did was lightly oil an old muffin tin, put our peeled broken bits till about 3/4 full, popped the tin into a 200ºF oven for 10 or so minutes. Let cool until set and tapped them out.

With our abundance of white outdoors, these little punches of color make me very happy.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

I love making crayon cookies! Looks like you were more tidy and methodical than we usually are, though... >;-D

Anonymous said...

Love that chubby little hand in the pictures. So cute! What a great colorful project for this time of year.

Leanne said...

Oh this is fun isn't it? I love the surprise colour combinations it creates...perfect for rainbow drawing...and yes I'm sure all of your white snow would make you appreciative of that!