Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hello January

Christmas on Cape Cod, New Year's in Virginia. We've been a busy band of gypsies going from here to there, unpacking and repacking four times over. All this shuffling of belongings, people and a dog combined with the bustle of holiday crafting, shopping, wrapping and the like leave me a bit frayed. We're home now and I think I'm ready to bring this blog out of hibernation mode.
A few of the things that managed to make it out of my craft space in time for Christmas:

A new stocking for Rowan- every bit of it made from reclaimed fabrics and trims. It's a little sick how much joy I get from re-purposing old things.
Leg warmers for my littlest (hurray for that bit of mohair left over from my cowl)
When she's not wearing these on her legs, she puts them on her arms. This girl has become increasing interested in her clothing and has a fashion sense all her own. On Christmas Lilla received a new Hawaiian shirt from my sis and immediately Lilla stripped out of her dress (with help) to get that new shirt on.

A hooded cape for Row. Well, I wish I could say this was a hit, but I'm afraid it turned out a little heavy. I'm please to say the fabric was recycled from things I had around the house. Scraps of brown velvet and a few old velvet garments.  Even the clasp came from a Nordic sweater in my woolens bin. But the double thickness of velvet makes it second in line for dress up capes. And the expression on Rowan's face here might better illustrate his point that "it's embarrassing to get dressed up in front of grown-ups." This is an unfortunate recent development. A bag for Ava. She noticed one I had made for my niece and then said she wanted one for herself. I love this fun fabric from a cozy little shop down the street.
This bag has become Ava's school satchel, so she requested a coordinating pencil bag.

And our travels to the coast gave us plenty of time for admiring the winter sky and sea and for enjoying the company of family and friends.

Happy 2009!! And thanks to all who make the trip to my little corner here and for the kind words you share.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Welcome back!!! I've missed you awfully. Love all of your beautiful finished projects, you talented crafty gal you!

Leanne said...

Wow you have been busy....well done achieving all that beautiful crafting admist preparations, celebrating and in your case packing and unpacking. Glad you're back I've missed you a lot also!!

The Bowens said...

So glad you are back! I've missed your bloggin'