Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Easy riders

All sorts of riding going on these days.
Ava's been riding horses on and off for years. This fall she begins a program at our local university to ride in their P.E. class. Very exciting indeed.
Rowan is a marvel on his bike. Last summer at only four years old, he stepped up to a two wheeler (no training wheels!) And this past weekend he moved on to a larger bike that was scored at a yard sale for a buck and lovingly fixed up .
And here's Lilla, hopping onto the "Wonder Pony." This was a great hand me down from friends and reminds me of the ride-on horse I had as a kid. I wonder if my childhood bouncy horse made it through all the rowdy rides from my siblings and me (is it somewhere in the basement Mom?)
As per my to-do list this weekend, I got on the sewing machine and made this little shirt for my girl. A supposedly quick pattern (Easy Mcall's 2889) sewn up in this light weight crab-apple print. The directions were simple, but the shirt came out a little wonky at first -and maybe still. Flaws included really long sleeves, an overly large neckline, and a too short length (I added a linen trim to make up for it). I ran out of time to make the linen pants that I planned on... hence the bare legs. Luckily the weather is still warm enough for such indiscretion.


5 comments:

Leanne said...

What a post full of childhood dreams for each little one....doesn't every girl dream of horses? I must say I just love Lilla's little rocking horse....what a thrifty bunch...Rowans bike is a beauty for such a bargain!
Looks like you did a fantastic job on the top...it looks very very sweet! Adore the fabric.

Laura said...

Those pictures of Ava are just great and I love the one of Lilla. Did you see the pictures Carrie sent along from the wedding? There were some great pictures of Lilla in there!

Lynn said...

I LOVE that little shirt! I was going to say something about it even before you mentioned sewing it. Heck, I'd like a few of those for myself! Although maybe I'd wear pants with mine, so as not to frighten the locals...

The Bowens said...

I love your sweet riders!

Elizabeth said...

Such fun going on! I love the photo of Lilla on the wonder pony.