Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Things for fall

A mess of flowers brought in to brighten our table:
Beginnings of a gnome hat for Lilla. I keep knitting and ripping this one out over and over. Now I think I 'm finally on a roll. Playing with my shadow: a self portrait. I love autumn's late afternoon light.
Here's Rowan making a nest of the fallen leaves and pretending to be a bird.
A frost was predicted late last week, so I scurried to bring tomatoes and basil in from the garden. We've been eating a ton of tomatoes lately. I'm also freezing some whole as supposedly one can produce good tomato sauce in the winter from the frozen fruits...we shall see.
Harvesting lots of these cheerful yellow calendula blossoms for making a favorite salve.
Savoring time out of doors: playing, reading, snacking and relaxing:

Happy first week of Fall! And Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

6 comments:

Laura said...

It is hard to believe that fall is already here... love the pictures!

Lynn said...

What fun! Can't wait to see the finished gnome hat, can't believe you already have so many leaves on the ground, and I need some of that calendula for MY salve-making -- my crop was kinda wimpy this year. I'll be over in just a moment...(I wish!)

Leciawp said...

Sweet post, nice blog!

Leanne said...

So many beautiful things in this post! I just love the light through your picked flowers...it's the first thing I notice in the changing seasons too. Those leaves look like just the perfect place to play... we don't have that here in autumn.
It looks like you did wonderfully with your tomatoes too...it's touch and go when I attempt to grow tomatoes. Happy sauce making... and outdoor savoring.

Anonymous said...

Wow..!! Fall is the best time for growing these Flowers.

Elizabeth said...

What beautiful "beginning of fall" shots!