Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Homemade

Today was baking day. I made three different kinds of yeasted breads: cinnamon rolls, a whole wheat loaf, and a few sheets of pizza. With all the ingredients out, the food processor churning and the oven raging, why not make a bunch of things? Dough is so delightful to work with- from the magic of watching the dough bubble and rise to the delicious smells and coziness in the kitchen as it bakes. And somehow the eating of fresh from the oven bread is doubly nourishing- feeding the belly and soul.

I couldn't help but to admire the gorgeous natural colors of these eggs from a local farm and the way the farmer carefully ordered them in the carton:Though there is a lot of fun to be had in all this baking and joy in offering it to my family, I do question the amount of time I spend in the kitchen. Between the cooking and cleaning up several times a day (we have no dishwasher!) the kitchen is one popular room.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Dad told me to check out your blog.. He said it was beautiful and he sure was right!! Love the post! Wish I was there to sample some of that yummy looking food!

Lea & Kevin said...

Yum - that looks good. You could alway send some baked goods over my way, minus the nuts of course. Talk to you soon.

The Bowens said...

I think that I may need some recipes from you...maybe we should start a recipe exchange on our blogs.