Monday, March 17, 2008

Snowdrops


The other night was the fifth grade talent show. The students performed a variety of acts: comedy skits, singing, dancing and playing instruments. So sweet to watch these kids that I've known since their kindergarten days. They have grown so much in these last few years. And they have far more courage than me...

Ava played a cello duet with her friend Clara and then a solo piece. She looked so poised on the stage with her hair pulled back in a neat bun, dangle earrings, and the fancy heeled boots that were a gift from Auntie Boo.

The kids sit on the cusp of adolescence, but they haven't yet entered the self conscious, slightly awkward stage. As I watched the show, I couldn't help but to remember being that age and feeling so big and capable...filled with the hopeful expectancy of growing up. These kids are bounding ahead... ready to blossom into the Spring of their lives.



And though flurries of white still dust the ground, spring really is coming. These snowdrop flowers told me so.

4 comments:

The Bowens said...

5th grade talent shows are so adorable! Any pics of Miss Ava's performance?

Laura said...

Oh, I wish we were there to see Ava... I, too, remember those years....seems so long ago though.

Sabrina said...

The photos of Ava's performance are so dark and grainy. I'm very disappointed we didn't get better pictures- that's why I didn't share them.

Anonymous said...

Well you can blame the bad pictures on me - as I was the photographer - and not such a good one at that. Sorry Sa.