Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cozy Toes

Lilla recently outgrew all the knit and crotchet slippers made for her and all of her socks are slowly yet steadily losing their mates. This babe is in need of something toasty that stays on her wriggly feet! I thought about just going to the store and finding something ready made that would work, but I like to go about such things in my own obtuse way. I had been ogling this little slipper pattern for a while (and hoping to make it before summer arrives!), but you know how these things go, right? Since my knitting needles and crochet hooks seems to be on hiatus, sewing a pair seemed far more doable, plus I could use that favored material of mine- felted woolen sweaters.

Well I finally made a pair of "Bitty Booties" in soft green wool, but they didn't stay on very well and I abandoned the idea of decorating them (thankfully). I decided to try again and modified the bootie into a boot by adding an extra piece of fabric that would help cover that barren section of leg displayed when Lilla's pants ride up. And this is what I ended up with:

They are reversible and the pattern from the sweater served as decoration. I like how they came out...but they don't stay on great either. Hmmm I guess it's back to the sewing machine for some more adjusting. Or maybe I will just break out the knitting needles.

And I still haven't made the "baby legs" like Laura made, but I hope to get around to it one of these days so Lilla can be rockin' and cozy- like Miss Payson.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Wow- those are very cool... I need to spend a weekend with you so you can show me how to do all this stuff!

The Bowens said...

Oh My Gosh!!! I love them! I may just have to put in an order for a pair. I just downloaded the pattern for the other ones too. They look adorable! Happy Crafting MamaCraft!