Monday, July 21, 2008

Pickin'

We ventured up to Grisamore Farms on Saturday and returned with many buckets and baskets laden with blueberries and sour cherries. Have I mentioned before my love and devotion to cherries....? As a kid I lusted after those pre-packaged cherry pies- hydrogenated oils, food coloring and all. In the summer I could ride my bike down to the Little Store and buy one of those wax paper encased treats. Heaven. And sweet cherries? Oh my, I can easily polish off a bag of those. But sour cherries are a more recent love. I only see them sold fresh at farmer's markets and u-pick farms and when I see them I need to have them. I love to have a freezer full of enough summer fruits and shelves lined with enough homemade jam so I can dig in come wintertime and remember summer days.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love that photo of the baby hands in the bowl of blueberries. And I'm with you on sour cherries. Yummy!

Leanne said...

ooh glad to see you back on deck!
Wow what great looking blueberries...they are becoming a more common treat in shops over here but I don't think I have seen sour cherries before? They look so perfect...almost artificial.
Cherries are in season here in December and are becoming our Christmas fruit. Yum.
Your photo's are delightful...what a gorgeous looking farm...I wish we had more u-pick farms. How great!

Laura said...

Looks like you had a nice day at the farm. Glad you are feeling better! And say Hi to Ari for us!

Sabrina said...

Yummy Yummy. I planted 3 blue berry bushes this spring and in a few years will have lots to pick. Do you make preserves from the berries, if so please share your recipe.

Lynn said...

Oh, yes, those chubby hands in the blueberries are the BEST! Looks like you had a fun day...

Anonymous said...

I loved every bit of pickin' those blubes. And your jam? Who would have ever thought that I would be enjoying jam on toast? Only yours, Sabrina, only yours...truly scrump-diddley.