Friday, December 14, 2007

"Gingerbread" Houses

Making a big, elaborate gingerbread house has been in my mind's list of things to do before Christmas. I have all the supplies ready and waiting to make up the dough, but I can't seem to get my act together. Then along comes some graham crackers. Hmmm...graham cracker cottages- a great idea I spied elsewhere. All I needed to do was trim the crackers with a serrated knife, made up a bunch of royal icing (meringue powder, powdered sugar and water), lay out an assortment of fun, junky candies and let the kids go to work. Okay, it was still messy (crushed cracker crumbs everywhere, red hot candies this way and that, and icing on my cookbook), but the kids had fun and the little houses came out sweet. Before long we may end up with a whole village. And I might just get inspired enough to bake up that promised gingerbread...

1 comment:

Laura said...

The cottages came out great!! Very nice!