Saturday, December 1, 2007

Old Traditions, New traditions

This year marks a break in our usual Christmas tradition of picking and cutting our own tree. Each year since we have moved to this rural area, we have gone to a farm to pick out our Christmas tree. I love the whole scene- wandering in the pine fragrant field and examining all the possibilities until we find the "just right" tree. We look for a tall tree, sturdy branches, soft needles and of course a wonderful smell. Once we get the tree and strap it to the car, we are off to pay, sip hot chocolate, and munch cookies.

But this year with a new little one in the house, life is just too crazy busy. So the tree was unceremoniously purchased at the new market down the street. The tree is still local and organic and met most of the above requirements, but I really missed the whole event of strolling around the farm and the kids voting on which one is best.

On a positive note, the advent garland that I've been chugging away on is finally finished and hanging. This is another one of those projects I mean to do each Christmas, but usually just get a store bought paper one with chocolates in it. Here is a little glimpse:Today's stocking contains two candy canes and a coupon for decorating the Christmas tree. I can't wait to get out the ornaments and lights! Happy Weekend!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Well, you are way ahead of us Sab.. We haven't even gotten our tree yet! I just love the advent garland idea. The stockings look so sweet hanging up there-- great job!

Ariana said...

I absolutely love your "Christmas Craft." It looks spectacular! Where do you get your ideas?

Sabrina said...

Thanks so much for saying nice things...I guess I approach "crafting" the same way I do cooking. I look for inspiration everywhere: books, magazines, the internet, friends and family, etc. Then I look around the house to see what I have on hand. The Advent garland idea was inspired by a similar idea in the Magic Cabin Dolls catalog. It's usually easier for me to make up my own thing than to follow recipes or instructions exactly.