Tuesday, April 8, 2008

In the bag

I've been meaning to make myself some new cloth shopping bags for awhile. Back when I was in college, my brother and his wife- being good environmentally conscious role models- instilled in me the value of bringing my own bags to the grocery store. I soon amassed a pile of canvas bags...those ubiquitous natural colored totes with a random logo printed on the side.

Well ten years later, the poor old bags are showing their age and looking rather gray. Now when the grocery clerk asks if I want plastic or paper, I feel a bit sheepish handing over my own dirty looking bags. I must be grossing people out by these sad looking things (oh, I swear that I wash them!) And those re-usuable bags that all the stores seem to be peddling these days just don't interest me.

So from my stash fabric bin I unearthed a 25 cents a yard piece of printed canvas that I scored at a rummage sale last fall. I love this silly old print with the birds and the corn. Then I made myself a pair of these totes:

I didn't follow any particular pattern and it was quick and easy...though I realize now a little ironing would have made it look tidier for this photo op (credits to Ava and Rowan for humoring their mama and taking this picture.) But no time for ironing now, I'm off to the market to give these babies a test drive.

6 comments:

The Bowens said...

I love that fabric! It is so springy!!

Laura said...

I love, love, love those bags! If you have any extra fabric, maybe you can make your sister in Plymouth one! It is funny, I was just looking for some canvas bags just for that same purpose.

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful totes!

Sabrina said...

Thanks you for the kind comments. Sometimes I wonder if anyone likes the same kind of stuff I like. It's nice to know that sometimes they do.

Sabrina said...

Oh I wish I had more of this funky fabric...

Laura, if you like I can make you a tote or two out of some other kind of fabric. I'll have to look at what else I've got.

Lea & Kevin said...

Okay Sa - I had to laugh reading that blog. The comment about about your dirty bags was quite funny. Anyway, I'm going to need some bags too. I almost feel silly going to the grocery store without them. Everyone else in Ithice's has them - I think it's about time I have some too. I have that fabric still left over from when we went to JoAnn's a while back. I think the canvas type material would work well and it's dark so it will never look dirty. I would be happy to donate any of the other fabric I have for others who are interested in bags if you feel like making them or better yet you could show me. Talk to you soon.