Saturday, June 7, 2008

Feeling hot, hot, hot

Well summer suddenly is in full swing. Today and yesterday were oppressively hot. Now, don't get me wrong I truly like the warmth. Summer is quite possibly my favorite time of year, but I do prefer easing my way into it a bit...same way I do when I go swimming in icy water. I get my feet wet and accustomed to the cool and then I can dive right in.

So, as much as I could sit here and complain about my stuffy house or the sweat dripping down my back, I'd rather dwell on the things that make me happy about this time of year. Like the sound of fans whirring away. The buzzing, calling of the tree frogs at night. The fun things sprouting up around the garden. A midday lounge atop the soft, cool chenille bedspread with a good magazine in hand and not feeling the least bit guilty because it's too darn hot to do anything else. A big frosty glass of iced green tea- I like to have a quart of that tea made up and waiting in the fridge. Splashing around in the creek. First sightings of fireflies this year. Expansive fields of green. And of course there's more, lots more to be happy about. I'm sure I'll be telling you all about it. In the meantime, stay cool.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh, wow, the tea looks SO refreshing, and I'm all over the magazine-on-chenille idea! And yes, I'm laughing about our mind link. My tea was chai yerba mate' but I didn't specify because it drives me bats that I don't know how to do an accented "e."

The Indian soup with kohlrabi sounds yummy even in the heat! You're always welcome to email me at bloglynn@gmail.com to share recipes or just chitchat. Stay cool!!

Lynn said...

Me again -- just have to say that the chenille photo is so evocative! I can almost hear the cicadas and lawnmowers (and my own yawning)...

So have the fireflies arrived already? None here yet.

Anil P said...

'Expansive fields of green' - I identify with that :)

Laura said...

I hear ya! It is hot, hot, hot here but I am loving every minute of it! Love the photos!

Lynn said...

éééééééé

It's magic!!! Thank you so much!

(We ate lentil soup last night, proving it could be done on a hot day.)