Wednesday, June 18, 2008

One year ago today...

...with a belly as full and round as the moon, I waited for my labor to kick in. Already days late and leaking amniotic fluid, I was getting mighty impatient and maybe just a little grouchy. My amazing midwife, who also helped with Rowan's birth, suggested taking Castor oil in hopes of getting labor going. I had already been doing a little acupuncture to pave the way for labor, as I had before Rowan's birth. But this time around to no avail. So on this morning a year ago, I mixed an ounce of the oil with OJ. The nauseating mixture- like a lipstick flavored creamisicle- did the job of making me feel ill and crampy for a few hours, but the promised contractions never took off from there.

So later in the day after I felt better, I decided that I must go strawberry picking. I felt sure that all that bending and picking in the hot sun would get my labor started. Plus, I figured jam would be better made before baby showed up. But at the end of this day a year ago with berries picked and jam jars lining a shelf, I went to bed without a baby in my arms.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh, how I can relate! My firstborn was 11 days past due date, and I became pretty certain he was going to reside on the inside for all eternity. And then it took him 26 hours to emerge. But when he did, whoops! Slipped right out onto a tarp on the dining room floor before anyone could catch him! >;-D

Laura said...

I can't believe it has already been a year... doesn't it feel like just yesterday that all of us were pregnant? It has really gone by so quickly.

Leanne said...

Leaving me in such anticipation as this! How wonderful to reflect on such a precious if not prolonged time awaiting your babe. Hmmm will little Lilla's Birthday be tomorrow or the next...??