Monday, February 11, 2008

Beddy, bed, bed

Our bedtime routine seemed to be running so smoothly last night. I say "routine" with a grain of salt because we tend to sway more to chaos than order. But last night I was feeling so on top of things as my kids were pretty much ready for bed at 7:30pm. I know for most people that hour might be a pretty normal time, but for me it was a triumph. I was looking forward to a few hours of Mama time to unwind, sip tea, and maybe sneek a glimpse of some blogs (as if I need to spend anymore time with those!) or do a bit of sewing. Well, the triumph lasted all of 20 minutes when Rowan complained he was hungry. That's what happens around here when dinner is at 5:30. So downstairs we went for cereal and toast with PB &J.

Usually at bedtime my kids like to snuggle. This means I lie down, get under the covers and try to avoid falling asleep while easing them into dreamland. But I was feeling irritated that my hoped for alone time was being carved away bit by bit, so I told Rowan there was no time to snuggle and that he must go to bed on his own (he is 5 after all). And then he dissolved into tears. I relented, lay down, drew him into my arms and he fell asleep quickly and sweetly with Lilla next to him. Then I snuck out of the room and had some Mama time to think and read and play.
I know I must sound like such a wimpy, pushover kind of mom. But really, will this kid want to snuggle in ten years...or five for that matter? I need to remind myself to etch these moments in my heart because they will not last forever. And now I need to drink some more tea because I tired from staying up too late.

3 comments:

Laura said...

That picture is so precious.. You'll have to make a copy and show it to Lilla and Rowan one day. Well, my kids are in bed for the night already. It is early tonight.. normal bedtime is 8ish but they were both up way too early and were ready. So, I guess I have a few minutes to myself... that is if one of them doesn't get up looking for something to eat anytime soon :)

Lea & Kevin said...

Row and Lil are so cute. I love the picture. Well at least you have some warm bodies to cuddle while Ed is away.

The Bowens said...

Snuggle away! Take all of the snuggles that you can get. They are very important for 5 year olds (and mommies). And, if it makes you feel any better, Payson went to bed at 11:45pm a couple of nights ago...I am hoping we nipped that in the bud though.