Monday, February 4, 2008

Doors On!

I picked up this antique (read beat up) cupboard a while ago at the auction. It was a miserable drizzly day as they auctioned off the contents of an ancient looking general store. I had my eye on the massive piece of furniture with it's hand carved details and plentiful storage and excitedly won it with a bid of seventy bucks. The happiness of the acquisition didn't last long before dread crept into my belly as now I had to figure out a way to bring it home. Hmmm, I should have thought that through more carefully. Luckily, there's friend with a truck. Everybody needs a friend with a truck. I'm hoping said friend does not hate me now.

After the ordeal of moving it here, it sat in the barn. And sat and sat and sat. Bringing the cupboard into the house meant lots of painting and some tinkering of the hardware. I almost sold it at our last yard sale, but each person that considered it was too afraid of their spouse's reaction if they actually brought it home. I suppose that same sentiment should have kept me from buying it, but my sweet husband has become accustomed to all the various things I drag into our house. Yes, I am a magpie but I'm trying to pare down.

So it stayed in the barn until I finally painted it and we heaved it into the house. Quickly the shelves were loaded with the kids' numerous art/craft supplies and games, but the doors stayed off for months because the hardware wasn't ready. A few days ago, however, the doors were attached and now the junk and disarray are safely hidden. Check out what's lurking behind those doors (unless you are my mother or others with organizational skills!):

3 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! I need one of those in my house to hide all the toys, games, etc! Looks great!

The Bowens said...

What a beautiful piece for only $70! Next time you will have to take a before picture. I can't imagine that it ever looked beat up. Oh, and by the way, we are the friends with a truck. We never mind helping people out though...I'm sure Ed's friend was glad to help!

Sabrina said...

I think if you saw it in person, the imperfections would be more apparent. As Ed likes to say- good from afar but far from good. Though its a run-down thing in many ways, it serves its purpose well enough. I actually often prefer things that have been well loved and worn. They also fit my price range much better.