Thursday, February 14, 2008

Take another piece of my heart


Thinking of our bedtime "routine" the other day reminded me of the ongoing debate between Rowan and me. Before Rowan falls asleep each night we often go into a discussion about who loves the other more. It begins with me saying I love him, then he counters with "But I love you even more than that." And then I say that I love him to the moon and back. Then he says he loves me to the moon and back and forth. And we go on and on like this for some time (perhaps this is explains why we have a hard time settling down for the night?)

When Ava was 3 or 4 she said something like "I wish I could jump into your heart and be a part of your blood." I found this little quote in a journal I kept long ago. I think it was her way of saying she loved me.

With each child we have added to our family, my heart has expanded more than I thought possible.

I like this quote from Elizabeth Stone:

"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."

2 comments:

Lea & Kevin said...

That is so sweet. All your kids are so loving. Kevin and I do a similar thing - usually we just start naming far away places like the moon, outer space, Pluto, Japan, China or Australia.

Laura said...

I just love this post. That is so sweet. Children really do fill your heart!