Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Of Forsythia and Olivia

A few people asked about the forsythia I had in yesterday's post. The blooms are from a forsythia bush in the yard that has always produced in abundance. All I do is snip the branches on a slant, bring them inside, keep them well watered, and wait patiently as it will take the blooms several weeks to appear. They seem to fare better and last longer in cooler spaces, which is not a hard feat in this drafty farmhouse. I also like to cut them in a steady succession so I have a continual supply of blooms (which reminds me I should go get some more). There's nothing like fresh flowers to ease the longing for spring. Some other flowering trees and shrubs also work for forcing- like cherry, apple or blackthorn.
This year I got my first batch of branches much earlier than usual. These were actually cut back in early December. I was inspired to follow the old custom of cutting branches on St. Babara's day, which is December 4th. Legend has it that branches cut on this day will bloom for Christmas. I think I ended up cutting mine a few days after December 4th and the blossoms began opening in early January- in time for our arrival home from our trip. Amazingly these same branches are still blooming and now leaves are beginning to unfurl as well. I'm also trying to force crocus and grape hyacinth bulbs, but it will be a while before I know if they are successful or not.

In other news, the lovely Miss Olivia turns three today! She's so cute and smart- wish we could be there today to shower her with birthday hugs and kisses. I guess birthday wishes will have to suffice- Happy Birthday Olivia!!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks Sab... Wish you guys were here too. We will see you soon though... I will have to post something tomorrow on my big three year old.

The Bowens said...

What a cute pic of Olivia!! I will be doing an Olivia tribute post as well as soon as I can get the pictures off of my home computer...I am at work :( I didn't realize that you could get forsythia to bloom all year long. I have only ever associated them with springtime!