Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Candied violets

This time of year before the mower gets to it, the lawn turns into a carpet of violet blossoms. Since violets are edible and we don't spray with any chemicals, the little flowers end up adorning some of our food- the fresh flowers look pretty tossed in salads or placed atop cakes. I don't know why, but to me eating flowers seems a little luxurious. But the delicate blooms won't last long after picking. So this year I thought I'd try to preserve them a little longer by crystallizing the flowers. I followed the basic recipe over here.

The process is a little fiddly, but also a little addicting. Now I'm wondering how peppery nasturtium tastes when coated in sugar...hmmm.

5 comments:

Laura said...

looks good enough to eat!!! those pictures are so pretty!!!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a cool idea.

Arlene,
Bainbridge Island flowers

The Bowens said...

I love your new header! What a pretty shot of Miss Lilla and her curls. Hope she is feeling better!

Elizabeth said...

I had no idea this was possible. Amazing. I also like the new header!

Laura said...

BTW, I love the new header!!! I don't know why I didn't notice it yesterday!!!