Sunday, May 18, 2008

Fairy houses

Ava and Clara love to come up with activities for their younger brothers. After returning from school the other day, they set up supplies for the boys to make fairy houses. They organized little piles of rocks, moss, sticks and leaves and helped the boys to build these sweet little fairy houses:
The little stone huts are so pretty nestled among the tall grasses and ferns. I think any fairy would be perfectly content stretching out on the leaf hammocks and munching on the snacks the boys provided in the petite acorn bowls. In fact, I wouldn't mind moving in myself.

Rowan and Eliot were full of wondering questions like: "Do you think a fairy weighs the same as a cork?" "Do fairies like sushi?" "Do you think Tiptoes will visit?" Tiptoes is the name of the fairy in one of our favorite books, The Tales of Tiptoes Lightly by Reg Down. Rowan and I love these imaginative stories that follow the seasonal adventures of Tiptoes and we return to reading them again and again.

5 comments:

Laura said...

that is so cute... nice work and very creative!

Carolyn said...

Fairy houses are one of our favorite things. Yours are beautiful. Every year we build them down at the Community Growing Center. Did you ever go there when you were here?
Last year the girls set up the activity for the other children, just like Ava and Clara did for the boys. It was nice to see the idea come full circle that way.
-Carolyn
P.S. I am sorry not to have been writing much. I was having some health issues. Blech. Otherwise all is well.

Sabrina said...

Carolyn- Oh I do remember that wonderful Community Growing Center and meeting up with your family for the fairy house building activity. That was a lovely evening!

Elizabeth said...

"do fairies like sushi?" That made me smile so much.

Leanne said...

Oh these are just lovely....this is something I used to do as a girl and have been meaning to do with my daughter....must put it on the list for this weekend!