Sunday, May 25, 2008

My timeline for a freezer paper project

1. See neat craft idea online, in a book, at a store or being worn by somebody and make note to self to try the project soon.
2. Allow several months to pass, occasionally thinking of the idea, but not doing it for lack of proper materials and/or time.
3. Purchase material, then allow to sit on shelf for a few weeks/months.
4. Finally, make project and pat self on the back.

So yesterday I grabbed my forlorn-looking freezer paper off the pantry shelf, gathered a few cotton t-shirts, a pair of tiny scissors, an iron, fabric paint, and a paintbrush, and in very little time stenciled three shirts.

First I traced my design on the dull side of a piece of freezer paper. Then I carefully cut my design out with the teeny scissors....an exacto knife would work too, but those scare me.
Next I placed the stencil, shiny side down, on the shirt and ironed (no steam). The paper then adheres to the shirt. Magic!
Next I got out my paint and paint brush. I used both paint specifically for fabric and also acrylic paint- each seemed to work fine. Then I simply painted in the design.
Allow paint to dry overnight and then pull off freezer paper. Paint should then be heat-set with an iron. The directions on my fabric paint bottle said to iron on the reverse side of the design for 30 seconds.
Rowan got a bear design and Lilla and I have birds.

3 comments:

Leanne said...

These look great! I really need to try this too. I love your designs.

Laura said...

I love the shirts... remember we were talking about doing something like this a while back? They came out great!!! So cute!!

Elizabeth said...

This is fabulous! Nice T-shirts. I love the description of your timeline. Mine is something like that too.