Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Healthy cookies

My sister in law Carrie sent along a fun cookie recipe for kids to make. The ingredients are simple, wholesome, and might just be sitting in your kitchen right now! Mix 1 1/2 cups oats and 1/2 each: peanut butter, apple juice concentrate and raisins (supposed to soak a bit if hard, but we skipped this step and they were fine). We also threw in a dash of cinnamon and a few drops of vanilla. Once mixed, form into balls and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. This afternoon, Rowan and I tried our hands at making these healthy little bites. Rowan was a natural:
Since Lea was coming over for dinner later on , I thought I'd do a little experimenting and make a second batch with the addition of chocolate. Wouldn't want to deny myself my sister of chocolate... So I substituted 1/2 chocolate chips for the raisins and used 1/2 cup maple syrup instead apple juice concentrate, but otherwise followed the above recipe. Both cookie variations were dense, not overly sweet and easy to make. And you can nibble a little of the raw batter without fear. I like that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the cookies - and I love your additions & variations! Younger kids can also mix and form the cookies with their hands if spoons are too tough to manage.

Anonymous said...

they were delicious! They sure helped cure my sore face.

The Bowens said...

That profile shot of Rowan shows how much he and Lilla look alike...it is amazing!

Elizabeth said...

These sound a little like the oatmeal peanut butter cookies I made last week. Maple syrup, what a good addition. Mmm... I'll have to try that.

Laura said...

I have been meaning to try this recipe... just might have to soon!