Thursday, May 1, 2008

Tea time!


Or breakfast time. Or just because you need a muffin. I like this combination of lemon, poppyseed, and blueberries, so I added those to Moosewood's basic muffin recipe. And the glaze... oh I needed that bit of tart/sweet.

If you want the recipe, here it is:
Wet ingredients

6 tbsp. butter at room temp
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 c + 2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
zest of 1 small lemon... organic if you can
1 1/2 cup blueberry (fresh or frozen)

Dry ingredients

2 cups flour ( I like to use 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour and 1 cup unbleached white flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Glaze

confectioner's sugar
lemon juice from half of a lemon (the same one zested for the recipe)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil 12 cup muffin tin. Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and mix. Then add milk and beat some more. Mixture will look lumpy. Now add your vanilla extract and the lemon zest. Set aside.

In a separate large bowl blend the dry ingredients together. Now dump the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold together until almost mixed, then add your berries and mix until just blended. Do not over mix.

Evenly disperse the batter into your muffin tin, filling each well about 0ne-third to half full (should be about a 1/3 cup of batter, but I never measure it out.)

Put in the oven and bake about 30-35 minutes. When done, put muffin tin on rack to cool for 15 minutes, then remove muffins from the tin. Careful, these muffins are delicate and crumble easily when still warm.

Now stir together the glaze. I squeezed the juice of half a lemon and mixed it with confectioners sugar (I'm sorry I didn't measure how much) until it was the consistency of glue (hmmm, it actually looks remarkably like glue, sound appealing?). The glaze should be thin enough to drizzle without being watery and running all over the place.

Now comes the fun and messy part: dip a spoon or fork into the glaze and drizzle away on the muffins.

Eat. Or save. The saving part did not work well here. I doubled the recipe imagining that I would freeze half of it. But in just 24 hours, not a single crumb remained. Well, I guess it helped to have 5 extra kids and 2 adults over for the afternoon.


Happy May Day!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Here I am drooling over your lemon glaze and beautiful teacup, and bookmarking the post under my "recipes to try" folder, and then I see you link to me! Thanks for the shout-out Sabrina, I'm so flattered!

Laura said...

look absolutely delish...! I will definitely have to try that recipe one of these days!

Lea & Kevin said...

It seems like I'm always missing out on your sweet treats, except for those yummy brownies you made last weekend - they were delicious.