Friday, May 16, 2008

A gardening we go


Sugar snap peas, lettuce, cilantro, carrots and beets are making their way through the soil. Last year's parsley and kale have volunteered themselves... The "walking" onions are multiplying and spreading and I am beginning to wonder whether planting them was a good idea. Strawberry plants bloom, but the deer like to nibble away at the leaves. If the deer cut back on their feasting, perhaps we will have a few berries ready in about six weeks.

As I move things around in the perennial beds, Rowan follows with a hose to ease the shock of the new transplants. My little babe perches on my back examining our work in progress. This time of year the garden feels so full of potential, it's hard to hold back from buying yet more seeds and plants. I day dream about creating a magical space in the backyard...outdoor rooms made up of shrubs and plants with wafts of sweet smelling blossoms and herbs filling the air. And an abundance of good things to eat. Some day. Right now we are just playing. Getting our fingernails dirty and our hopes high.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's so green! How beautiful. I also fantasize about creating an amazing garden with flowers, vegetables, and shrubs. Yours is already looking quite amazing I'd say.

Laura said...

Already looks great Sab! Very impressive.

Leanne said...

I too was going to comment on the "greeness" of everything. We are in drought here. You sure do live in a beautiful part of the world...I can only imagine deer nibbling in my garden....but then again we have plenty of possums and wallabies that do the same....
Lovely post!

Sabrina said...

Thanks for the kind and encouraging comments. I am so happy now that things have greened up.

Lynn said...

Oh, such a beautiful woodsy backdrop to your garden! Enjoy it!!